Erstwhile, the taxpayers filing return of income electronically (without Digital Signature Certificate) are required to send the signed copy of ITR-V to the CPC, Bengaluru within 120 days of uploading the return.
From the Assessment Year 2015-16, an option has been given to the taxpayer to file return of income via Electronic Verification Code’ (‘EVC’). In that case, taxpayers shall not be required to send the signed copy of ITR-V to CPC, Bengaluru.
The procedures and modes of filing of return through EVC have been notified by the CBDT. The new procedure is as under:
Verification through EVC
EVC will be a unique number linked to assessee’s PAN. It cannot be used for filing return of income of any other PAN. One EVC can be used to validate one return, irrespective, of assessment year or type of return.
Non applicability- Who cannot file return via EVC?
- Persons, whose accounts are required to be audited under Section 44AB
- Political parties filing their return of income in ITR-7
Modes of Generating EVC
Taxpayers can generate EVC by any of the four modes specified hereunder:
- Through Net-Banking: Banks registered with Income-tax Department are providing direct access to the e-filing website to their account holders. By clicking on e-filing option account holder will be redirected to the e-filing website where he can generate the EVC using “e-File” menu.
EVC generated will be sent to the registered e-mail id and mobile number of taxpayer, which can be used to verify income-tax return.
- Through Aadhaar Number: Taxpayers can link their Aadhaar Number with their PAN on e-filing website to generate the EVC. Once the Aadhaar Number is linked to PAN, one time password’ (‘OTP’) will be generated by UIDAI and sent to the taxpayer’s mobile number registered with UIDAI. This Aadhaar based OTP will be the EVC and can be used to verify the income-tax return.
- Through ATM: All taxpayers can generate EVC through ATM only if ATM card of taxpayer is linked to PAN validated bank account and bank is also registered with the Income-tax department.
- Through E-filing Website of Income-tax Department: Assessee can also generate EVC by using e-filing website of Income-tax Department. However, this facility is available only to the assessees having total income of Rs. 5 Lakhs or below and who are not claiming Income-tax refund. To use this facility, assessee can visit the e-filing website and select the option ‘Generate EVC’ from e-File menu. EVC generated will be sent to the registered email ID and mobile number.
Validity of EVC
|Aadhaar Number||10 minutes|
|By other mode||72 hours|
Happy Return Filing season.